Friends of Baxter State Park
Each spring Friends of Baxter State Park holds a gathering to celebrate accomplishments, enjoy presentations, eat scrumptious food, meet new Friends, find out the latest developments, and share our experiences in the Park with each other. Please join us for next year’s festivities in April 2014.
Here are some highlights from the 2013 Annual Meeting held at Viles Arboretum in Augusta which was attended by over 75 people.
- A bird walk for early attendees
- Aaron Megquire, the first ever, Executive Director was introduced to the Board and new Board members and officers were elected
- Bill Bentley gave a slide show of the breathtaking images for the 2014 BSP Calendar representing 24 wilderness photographers.
- BSP director Jensen Bissell gave a “State of the Park” address.
- Glenn Mittelhauser of the Maine Natural History Observatory gave an update on the Flora of Baxter State Park project.
- Nancy Olmstead presented her recently completed Master’s thesis; “Natural Community Planning Mapping in BSP-T5/R9.”
- David Little, author of the recently released book “Art of Katahdin” gave a presentation of the art and artists featured in that book.
- Dan O’leary form the Quimby Family Foundation presented a grant of $40,000.00 to support Friend’s mission, in honor of Barbara Bentley’s outstanding leadership.
- Finally there were awards and recognitions, most abundantly for retiring President, Barbara Bentley who has served a six year term of unmatched dedication and energetic leadership.
- A hike on the Round Top trail in the Kennebec Highlands, guided by Ken Spalding.
All this was accompanied by delicious food and beverages supplied by Anne Huntington; stunning artwork by Katahdin artists, Michael Vermette, Michel Boardman, and Evelyn Dunphy; and a sales table offering books and other items.
Kale Salad Alert! So many people asked Anne about that amazing Kale Salad that we are posting it here.